This is an observed behaviour as well as one that can be assessed through behavioural interviewing.
- Tell me about a time when you needed to use your interpersonal style to influence a client decision? What did you do? What was the outcome?
- Do you enjoy speaking in front of large groups? Tell me about a time when you needed to present to a large group but had only very limited time to prepare. How did you go? What did you do to prepare?
- Tell me about a situation where you had to make an unplanned presentation. How did you organize your thoughts? How did you feel about this?
- What do you think are the two or three most crucial ingredients of successful listening? Can you provide me with an example of a time when you applied your listening skills very effectively. What was the outcome?
- Can you describe for me a situation when you needed to make your client understand a complex issue and its implications? How did you communicate the issue to the client? What did you do to ensure that the client understood the implications? What happened as a result of your efforts?
- Describe a time when you had to provide difficult feedback to a client, colleague or manager. How did you go about it? What was the response? What was the outcome?
- What is one of the most complex concepts that you are an expert in? Describe it to me in layperson’s terms.
- Describe a time when you had a difference of opinion with a colleague or client. What was the nature of the disagreement? How was it resolved?